Sunday, May 15, 2011

IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE - THE FIRST LAP



Every face was lit with smiles as they took their places in the courtyard.  There was not much fidgeting with clothes or  other decorative apparel as all of them were dressed in a simple white robe gathered with a cord at the waist.  The focus remained on Jesus which is as it should be.   I spotted  familiar faces and  felt a rush of affection in my heart. All the hard work and practice had paid off,  the children knew exactly what was expected of them.  I took my place in the seat assigned to me and looked around, St. Therese Church was beautifully decorated with flowers and lights and I found myself musing on the year that seemed to have gone in the blink of an eye. 

I was assigned as the junior catechist to the class that would be preparing to receive First Holy Communion.  There were butterflies in my stomach as I walked into the class room, I had absolutely no teaching experience and I wondered if I would be up to the task.  There were forty children in the class, forty souls whom we had to prepare for one of the most wonderful day in their lives.  Thankfully, being a neo-catechist, I was required to play a secondary role most of the time.  This gave me an opportunity to observe the senior catechist and learn from her. Looking back I realize  how blessed I have been to have been a part of their lives if only for a short while. 

It isn't easy to remember all their names but each face is etched in my heart.  I remember each smile and I have a fair idea of each ones personality.  I can pick out the naughty ones, the rowdy ones, the quiet and shy ones, the ones who are playful and easily distracted, the girls whose attention span grows shorter by the minute, the smart ones who ask interesting questions, the funny ones who can make you laugh when you know you ought to be serious.  There have been a few classes that I had to take on my own and I relished the idea of testing the water solo, once I had found my sea legs.  The most wonderful times have been when I was able to grasp their attention - when they seemed to hang on my words as I spoke to them about the awesome love of Jesus and the wonder of it  struck a responsive note in their own hearts and they were still and silent as they listened to me.  

It has been a blessed year.  There is much I have learned from  the senior catechist who has been very generous and  patient as I learned the ropes. I look forward to the next Catechism session and a new group of children with greater confidence, thanking God all the while for the gift and the privilege of being called to share the faith with these little ones so dear to the heart of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment