Monday, November 19, 2012

IN PURSUIT OF HOLINESS



TEACHING ON HOLINESS 

BR. FRANCIS D'SOUZA
19TH NOVEMBER 2012

Heb 12:14   
Pursue peace with everyone, and the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

 God teaches His people.  You must be holy as the Lord your God is holy.

Leviticus 11:45  
For I am the Lord who brought you up from the land of Egypt, to be your God; you shall be holy, for I am holy.

1 Peter 1:15-16  
Instead, as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; for it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy.’

Imitate the one who has called you to be holy in everything you do.

1 Th 4:3, 7 
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from fornication; For God did not call us to impurity but in holiness. 

 God’s will for me is to become holy.  God has called us to holiness.  Holiness lived is holiness believed.  I am the God who sanctifies you.

What is holiness?  To be sanctified to be set apart, consecrated and dedicated.

Be holy right now in all things let holiness saturate you whole mind let it be imprinted on your character let it be the hall mark of your conduct.  We must ooze holiness as a honey comb oozes honey when squeezed.  
What holiness is NOT

Holiness is not about externals alone, it is not the basis of our righteousness, it is coming before God as we are . What is important is our internal disposition like the tax collector who stood behind in the temple not daring to lift up his eyes and acknowledging that he was a sinner.

Haggai 2:10 ff 
Thus says the Lord of hosts: Ask the priests for a ruling: If one carries consecrated meat in the fold of one’s garment, and with the fold touches bread, or stew, or wine, or oil, or any kind of food, does it become holy? The priests answered, ‘No.’

Philippians 2:12  
Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
In fear and trembling we are called to work out our salvation.

“Holiness is not a virus to be caught but a way of life to be sought.” 

In what matters am I called to be holy?

I am called to make every act I do an act of love and it will become holy.  My pray each day, every day and all the time must be, “Lord, make me holy.”

HOW TO BE HOLY

Matthew 6:33 
But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

The Sacraments sanctify, edify and glorify.  The Word of God builds us up.

To be holy we must desire it we must pursue it.

Ph 3 12
 I do not believe I have already reach­ed the goal, nor do I consider myself perfect, but I press on till I conquer Christ Jesus, as I have already been conquered by him. 13 No, brothers and sisters, I do not claim to have claimed the prize yet. I say only this: forgetting what is behind me, I race forward and run towards the goal, 14 my eyes on the prize to which God has called us from above in Christ Jesus. 15 Let all of us who claim to be perfect have the same way of thinking, but if there is something on which you differ, God will make it clear to you. 16 Meanwhile, let us go forward from the point we have each attained.  17 Unite in imitating me, brothers and sisters, and look at those who walk in our way of life. 20 For us, our citizenship is in heaven, from where we await the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ, the Lord. 21 He will transfigure our lowly body, making it like his own body, radiant in Glo­ry, through the power which is his to submit everything to him­self.

1 Thessalonians 4:3
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from fornication

Conformity to the will of God.

Practicing the Presence of God.

Is 65:24  
Before they call I will answer,
   while they are yet speaking I will hear.

Examine your conscience daily and resolve to correct your faults.
Make interior and exterior mortification.
Have a plan for your life.

The three secrets of a successful ministry is prayer, prayer, prayer.

Spiritual Reading

Luke 18:8  
I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them. And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?’

Faith must grow – Read the CCC, Scripture, seek spiritual direction if possible, Life of devotion .  The purpose of devotion to Mary or the saints is to reflect and image the one whom I am devoted to – their virtues must inspire me.

I must cultivate good, healthy friendships

"HOLINESS ISN'T CONTAGIOUS"

"Thus says the Lord of hosts: "Consider your ways."
- Haggai 1:7

Evil is like a contagious disease. Just as one person coughing in an airplane cabin can infect all the Passengers, evil seems to spread among a group.

Holiness, on the other hand, must be deliberately sought. We do not become holy by associating with godly people in a cloistered environment. Holiness comes through faith and obedience to the Lord.

That is the point Haggai made centuries ago. He spoke about meat that had been set apart for sacrifice to God. If that meat touched some other food, it could not make the other food holy (2:12). Onthe other hand, ceremonial uncleanness could be easily transmitted by a mere touch (v. 13).

Haggai told the people of Israel, who assumed they were holy because of their godly heritage, that they actually had become defiled because of their disobedience (v. 14).

If you want to be holy, you must first give yourself in faith to God. Then you must learn what God wants you to do and in His strength obey Him. Having devout parents and associating with religious friends may help, but they cannot make you holy.

We become holy only as we live close to the Lord and do what He tells us to do.

-- Haddon W. Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment