Thursday, June 12, 2014

YEAR FOUR - THE RIPPLE EFFECT


THE RIPPLE EFFECT

Growth is measured not by looking back with the idle curiosity of Lot's wife, but to take cognizance of all that was achieved. We note our successes and strengths made possible through grace and team effort, we identify those areas where we failed or could have done better and finally we resolve with God's help to be more faithful and committed  in the future.

At the close of another year, I realize that my life as a catechist has a ripple effect on everything I do and am. Sometimes the things I like doing must take a backseat if I am to be true to my vocation. Often it is a struggle between the flesh and the spirit and truth be told the flesh sometimes overcomes the spirit. There is a real and ever present danger of becoming complacent, getting stale and taking the call for granted. 

In all honesty, teaching has never been my forte or so I believed, but as we know, God has a delightful sense of humor and can always be counted on to do the unexpected. When God calls, all He asks for is a willing response, “Here I am Lord, send me!”  Once we say yes, He will equip, qualify and provide all that we need. By attending three of the Catechists' Courses conducted faithfully every year by our Catechetical Director, God kept His promise to equip, qualify and provide. 


My first year as a catechist was one of mixed blessings. The joy of being with children gradually took precedence over my timidity and diffidence. My confidence grew as I discovered how receptive the children were to all we taught them about the faith and the two Sacraments they were soon to receive. Teamed with an excellent senior catechist I was able to watch and learn. The second and third years were more challenging and satisfying as I began to play a more active role in class and in the catechists' ministry.


New discoveries never cease as each new batch of children have their own unique personalities, each child has touched my life and each has found a place in my heart and in my prayers.  It is a gift and an immense blessing to be called to prepare these little ones for the Sacrament of Reconciliation in order that they may receive the Sacrament of Sacraments, Holy Communion. There is a warm glow of pride and a sense of quiet accomplishment  when I recognize past students, some are now altar servers while some sing in the children’s choir. 


Despite all of the above, as this catechetical year was coming to a close, I flirted with the idea of hanging up my catechist’s boots metaphorically speaking. I raised several convincing arguments to myself to rationalize my decision and almost succeeded until the truth hit me. I could deceive myself if I wanted to, but in truth there was no valid reason to justify such a selfish decision; there were however several wonderful ones to remain faithful and each of these them is a child.

The children are a delight.  Every year I see how much more relaxed I am with them.  I have lost my initial self-consciousness and over the years have been able to chat and interact with them with greater ease.  Each year has its share of special children who stand out and touch my heart as they tug at my heartstrings. The children choose where they would like to sit from the first day and we let them. One young fellow chose to sit in the last row with a shy, young girl and invariably they would be lost in deep conversation even while class was going on. I had to pull him up regularly, until one day I was so frustrated I changed his seat.  As soon as I had finished with the lesson he came over to me and asked if he could please return to his place.  I asked him why and he said, I like to sit with her because she is my friend. One little girl excitedly shared that she would soon be wearing glasses. Another that he was taking karate classes. Little things, yes, but they leave a treasured legacy behind.

My mission is to hand on the faith that I have been privileged to receive and to enliven the faith of the little ones entrusted to me. In preparing them for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion, I must nurture the desire already alive in their hearts for Jesus in the Eucharist and I must pray that as they grow in faith, they will better understand  the infinite value of the Sacrament of Sacrament - Jesus Himself Body, Soul and Divinity in Holy Communion.





At the close of this year our Catechetical Director,  Fr. Franco gave us food for reflection during the summer break with regard to servant leadership.
 
TEN PRINCIPLES OF SERVANT LEADERSHIP
MODELLED AFTER CHRIST
  • As Servant Leaders of Jesus Christ and His Church we must have His “basin and towel” attitude!
  • The purpose of our life is to preach the Kingdom of God. We must prioritize all that we do keeping this goal in view. 
  • Jesus responded positively to rejection. He did not run away from suffering but embraced it. A servant leader will stand firm in the face of rejection and accept suffering with humility and always in union with the Cross.
  • We must practice what we preach. We must first live the life before we hope to teach / lead others.
  •  Christ walked slowly through the crowds. He continues to walk in step with us. We must build relationships by walking together, side by side. Not running ahead or lagging behind.
  • Without prayer we will soon run out of spiritual energy. We need to be replenished every day with grace and this is possible only through daily prayer and frequent reception of the Sacraments of Reconciliation and the Eucharist.
  • Commitment is key. Without a commitment to serve no matter what obstacles are set before us, we will not be able to serve faithfully or effectively.
  • We must be emotionally and spiritually strong when handling tough issues. Jesus remained calm and serene before His enemies. We must ask the Lord to grant us the same serenity and trust in Him when we are faced with difficult situations.


  • We must lead on a higher level. Which means that we do not get stuck in the past but look ahead. We have to keep setting a higher benchmark. We must be prepared to risk change when change is required.
  • Jesus chose key people to be His close associates only after spending time in prayer and discernment. He did not choose the rich, the clever, the famous or the powerful; those whom He chose were simple, open and ready to listen.
 Reflection – There is no true success without a successor. As followers of Jesus, we are called to continue His mission on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment